Uncle Charles: His death on Nov.1 came as a surprise to us, following only a brief period of ill health. My Mother, brother, sister Becky and I made a trip to the beautiful city of Lexington, Ky. last Tues. to visit Uncle Charles, as we were concerned about him having to go into the hospital. Mother and my bro. stayed behind when Becky and I returned on Thur. evening. The call came at 2AM Sat. regarding his death, so a return trip was made that afternoon. He was a kind, generous person. My Mother and her 4 children were his only family following his wife's death 2 yrs. ago. Funeral was in Lexington and burial was 190 miles west, just a few miles from where I grew up. This leaves Mother as the last of her generation for us. Sobering.
Uncle Charles and his wife. I'm not sure if this is their wedding picture or if the next picture is.



Mother and her children

The family that was able to make the trip to Ky.(Teresa, my neice, took the pic)

The passing hours of travel: My two sisters took turns taking pictures with my camera. Less than stellar photography can be attributed to speed and lack of familiarity with the camera.
The beautiful Smoky Mountains of Tn.

Scenes from the beautiful horse country of Lexington



Does the entrance to your farm look like this?



A man's home is his castle!

Tobacco barn in west Ky. See the tobacco hanging in the open doorway?

The "knob" region of Ky


Quite a bit of sand has dropped since I was born in M'ville.

Going down Mount Eagle again

Passing miles: I was going to have a final maintenance check at 99,000 miles but the 1900 miles spent to and fro from Ga.-Ky.-Ga.-Ky.-Ga. took care of those plans! I turned over 100,000 when passing through the carpet capital of the world. Do you know where that was? I had 100,120 when I arrived home. And the maintenance light was on!



The passing of a political baton. I spent 4 1/2 hours in my voting quest. Political conversation isn't usually good for fellowship so I won't get on my soapbox. I have hope and concern for the future.

The passing seasons:
The fall trees this morning.

7 comments:
What an interesting, newsy, scenic post! I'm sorry about your uncle... they look like a lovely couple. Your drive through the southland has me drooling... I think I'm needing a road trip. Beautiful pictures!
This is a good reminder that nothing stays constant except our Heavenly Father. It's a sobering and thought provoking post, Susan. Thanks for sharing! We hope to visit Kentucky in the future. Some of special friends live there. From your pictures it looks like a beautiful place.
How "funny"! I've been thinking about you all week!! In fact once I checked on your blog just to see if my "updater" wasn't current...:*)
Beautiful post & pictures. I've never been down there, but one year my mom/grandparents/younger siblings went to KY for conv. Your pictures brought back the memories of the trip they shared. When Jeanne was in Georgia, My mom & 2nd son made a trip to KY with her to visit also. It's one of those "few" places that I really really want to see someday! Beautiful beautiful country!!
So sorry to hear about your Uncle, Susan. I am glad though that you got Jan to take some pictures of the scenery! Did you manage to talk her into blogging? I tried at convention but she said she didn't have anything interesting to blog about...see? She could've blogged about the trip!:)
Sobering post...beautiful pictures. Even im my short 32 years of life so much has changed. Glad all of you got to make it up to KY for the funeral. Now to take care of Nanny's emotional needs.
We've been thinking of you all and your mother since hearing of her brothers passing. I'm sure she would feel alone now..... the last in her generation.
I started getting homesick for KY after looking at your pictures. I wonder if anyone ever bought that castle? I think the man's wife left him.......... he didn't ask her opinion on the house plan.
beautiful pictures
Post a Comment