MIMISUSAN

Born a Kentucky babe, became a Georgia peach, a wife, a mommy and a grandmommy, but ALWAYS a Suth'n belle. Sugah, I shooah hope y'all enjoy mah rambl'n, bless yuh hahts! Membah now, cum back to see meh!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Making the most of 24 hours

Our daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 12th anniversary last week-end so we got to have Isabelle and Joseph sleep-over on Friday night. When we paid for that wedding we didn't know what a great return we were going to get on the money! I picked the kids up at 3pm and we packed the next 24 hours full. Isabelle LOVES to cook, so I let her do most of our meal for the evening. Joseph got to play with the DS during this time and that made him a happy camper. I tried to teach Isabelle safety tips while letting her do a lot of things that I'd normally do for her. She was so proud.

Isabelle loves wearing aprons here and this was a new one.


After washing asparagus the cook needed a snack. Don't all cooks eat while they work?


Olive oil, salt and pepper before roasting


She learned how thick corn starch (gluten free!) can be if not thinned enough.


Learning to lift the lid so that the steam goes away from arm..she was nervous about this.


Deglazing the pan.


Applesauce dished up.


She opened the oven standing to the side so that she didn't get a blast of heat in the face.


Thickening the sauce.


Concentrating on getting those chops out safely!


After dinner we picked up cousin Elizabeth and great-grandmother (my Mom) in the golf cart and headed to the greens for a dessert picnic of popcorn and water. Gourmet!


Rolling on the hills was great fun (and used lots of energy). Cheap too.


Checking out the hanging tomato plant they gave me for Mother's Day


We had lunch Sat. at Wendy's. Joseph's fries got left out of the order. I let him go to counter by himself to order them (yes, Mom, I could see him the whole time and no one else was in line!). He could hardly refrain from running when he carried the precious cargo back on the tray. He said "I'm so proud of my first receipt and I got 3 pennies!".

6 comments:

Mommabelle said...

Joseph told me about his receipt!
Looks like they had fun.
(The tomato plant was your birthday present! LOL)

Anita said...

that was a pretty sweet time you had with your granddau... all the little things a girl has to learn!

Ethel said...

what a nice wk. end!! wish you lived closer...we would have brought our kids over as well..it was our 12th anniversary also..May 16th. looks like they ate very nutritiously!!

The J's said...

What a lovely post, a very special time. Grandparents (can) play such a special part in childrens lives!!

All American Family said...

How did I miss this post? Looks like y'all had a great time! I'm so proud of you Isabelle making that gourmet dinner - well done! And congrats Joseph on your first receipt! Who had a better time, the grandkids, or the grandparents? ;)

All American Family said...

How did I miss this post? It looks like y'all had a great time! I'm proud of you Isabelle for making that gourmet meal. I'm sure Papa and Mimi LOVED it! And Joseph, that's awesome you got your first receipt! Who had more fun, the grandkids, or the grandparents? ;)