Summer is officially here when the crepe myrtles start to bloom. These plants add great beauty to our landscape but the negative aspect is that Jap. beetles LOVE these plants. If you have the dwarf variety it's not a big deal as you can spray them with insecticide and reapply every time it rains and washes off the insecticide. Well, forget that when your crepe myrtle is 20 feet tall! I've learned to accept the ugly invaders and just wait for them to die after 4-6 wks. I planted this crepe myrtle in the flower pot, pictured below, about 7 yrs. ago and it was only 2 ft. tall. When summer was over I moved it to the flower bed and it has thrived. The tree trunk showing behind the pot is the crepe myrtle.
Yesterday I made pepper jelly....THE favorite item in our extended family. A must at every large dinner. You can find the recipe
here. This is a nice "hostess/teacher/new neighbor" gift.
Crepe Myrtle

My summer flower pot

Pepper Jelly
2 comments:
Why hasn't this "extended" family member ever made that beautiful pepper jelly? Maybe because I don't get to ever host an extended family dinner. Why won't you all come 800+ miles for dinner? Maybe I'll just make some for immediate family. Brad needs to post his sweet jalopeno peppers recipe. He makes a "jelly" from the juice. How many days now without sugar? Go girl!
The pepper jelly looks perfect. Looks just like mine. I can just taste a good southern veg. dinner with the pepper jelly!:)
Shelley
Post a Comment