I uploaded the following pictures last night but crawled in bed before I attached an explanation. Monday, mid-morning, Ken called and wanted me to go across town to pick up some supplies needed at the storage facility. I had already planned a full day, but knowing that he was really feeling bad I agreed to make the trip. Mind you this was a 150 mile round trip. Across town ain't no minor deal!! I knew that the load would stick out the back of his truck but folks, we're talking LOOOOONG! The company said they couldn't tie it down for me due to liability but when I started my melt down they said "Carl will ratchet it down to the next to last time and then you finish". Carl did just that and said to me "there are cameras on the area so you try to ratchet it more for them". :-) My load didn't budge! But.. no speeding home!
The town across town that I traveled to happens to be the town we lived in from 73-81. We're talking last century! If you read about the flooding in Atl a few weeks ago, and saw pictures, then you'd have seen some from this county. It still has 55 roads closed from flooding but I didn't know that last little tidbit until I took a side trip to visit our old neighborhood (how well I excel in run-ons). Opps, road closed. Take a detour Susan, and see how much you remember. I accomplished the detour but drove right past our subv. street because so much had changed. We lived on the down-hill street of the subv. and Ken fought the water coming from the upper streets the whole time we lived there. BUT..we lived on the uphill side of the down-hill street. Still following me? I didn't know that the poor people across from us had been so badly flooded. I've included pictures for any who remember that neighborhood(with names for my kids to relate to). The owners of our former house haven't lavished as much TLC on it as we did.
Goldhagen's. Water line at mid-window level
Barney and Eileen's. Water line about 1/3 up door.
Our old house. Water covered yellowed grass.
Loaded and ratchted down.
Going over "spaghetti junction". I'm following that tanker on the high overpass. Call me a pick-up pro!
A little back up traffic thrown in,
Delivered safe and sound.
1 comment:
How'd I miss this post? You're crackin' me up with your play by play of your "truck drivin' skilz". I kind of had to laugh thinking about where I grew up - one main street approx 2 miles long, vs where you are - 150 miles round trip across town. Glad you made it back to Ken with no problems though! And I can just visualize you ratcheting down that load - you go girl!
Post a Comment